| FORMER MEMBER, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister
| Saumitra Chaudhuri
Member, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister
|| (Off.) +91-11-23096586
Saumitra Chaudhuri has been a Member of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister since January, 2005. He was appointed Member, Planning Commission in June, 2009. Prior to that he worked as Economic Advisor & Research Co-ordinator with ICRA Limited, a full service credit rating agency, for sixteen years (1993–2009) and was executive editor of the research publication Money & Finance. He began his working career in the Bureau of Industrial Costs & Prices (BICP), Ministry of Industry (1981–83) and later was senior economist in the Joint Plant Committee, Department of Steel (1983–85). Subsequently he was associated with Steel Authority of India Ltd (SAIL) and State Bank of India (SBI) (1986–91), besides for short durations with World Bank and UNIDO over the two decades.
He has a basic degree education in Science and studied economics at the Centre for Economic Studies & Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi.
His association with government bodies include:
- Member of the Planning Commission (since June, 2009)
- Chairman of the Committee for Formulation of All Industry Rates of Duty Drawback 2005–06 to 2009-10 in the Ministry of Finance.
- Member of the High Level Committee set up by the Prime Minister to examine the Finances of Oil Companies and implications of rise in crude oil prices [Jun.–July 2008].
- Chairman of the Committee to Review the ADR / GDR /FCCB Scheme, Finance Ministry [May 2007 to Jan. 2008].
- Member of the High Level Committee on Estimation of Savings & Investments [Dec. 2007 to Dec. 2008].
- Member of the high-powered Inter-Ministerial Committee set up to examine pricing and taxation issues for petroleum products [Oct. 2005 to Feb. 2006].
He has over twenty five monographs and papers spanning issues of industry, the financial sector, regional development and fiscal policy.