| Former Chairman, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister
|Prof. Suresh. D. Tendulkar, Former Chairman
||Block AD, Flat No. 86-C, 2nd Floor, Salimar Bagh, (Opp. All Heaven Resturant), New Delhi.
27667005, 27667540, 27666533, 27666534, 27666535, 27666703, 27666704, 27666705, 27482434 (R) 27667159 (fax) : 9810 55 03 03 (M) from Delhi
Date of Birth
February 15. 1939
Place of Birth
Kohlapur, Maharashtra State, India
B.M. College of Commerce University of Poona, India
June 1956 to June 1960
Bachelor of Commerce
Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, India
July 1960 to July 1962
Master of Arts in Economic Statistics
Department of Economics, Harvard University
August 1963 to March 1968
Ph.D. in Economics
| Academic Awards
- First in the University (also in the First Class) in B.Com Examination (1960)
- First in the University(also in the First Division) in M.A.Examination (1962)
- Rockefeller Foundation Scholar, at Harvard University, August 1963 to August 1967
- July 1962 to August 1962: Research Assistant in the Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Poona-4, India.
- April 1968 to July 1968: Project of Quantitative Research in Economic Development, Centre for International Affairs, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass, 02133, U.S.A., Revised part of the Ph.D. Thesis for publication(item 2 in published papers).
- September, 1968 to June 1974: Associate Professor, PLanning Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India. Taught courses on Economic Development, Development Planning and Econometric Applications.
- July 1974 to July 1976: On Leave from the Indian Statistical Institute to work as Economist in the Development Research Centre, World Bank, Washington, DC, USA. Worked on research project on planning in West Malaysia.
- August 1976 to July 1978: Professor in the Delhi Centre of the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi.
- August 1978 to February 2004 : Professor of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi, India. Taught courses on Economic Development and Planning in India and Industrial Economics to the M.A. degree students. Retired in February 2004.
- February 2004 to date, Member, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, Delhi 110007, India.
Related Work Experience
- Teaching the trainees of the Indian Economic Service and the Indian Statistical Service since 1970.
- Served as Member, Commission of Enquiry to look into the efficiency of the foreign owned plantations in the southern state of Kerala, India: Report submitted in November, 1970.
- Served as a Member of a panel to suggest the Industrial Location Policy for the State of Maharashtra, India. Recommendations submited in June 1973.
- Served as a Consultant to the Central Excise (Self-Removal Procedure), Review Committee, February to August 1973.
- Managing Editor of the Indian Economic Review, the Journal of the Delhi School of Economics, 1981-86.
- Member of the Governing Council of the National Sample Survey Organisation, 1981-85, 1988-90, 1990 to 1992.
- Chairman of the Working Groups for the National Sample Surveys on Social Consumption (1985-86) and Living Conditions of the Tribals(1988-89).
- Member, Study Group on the Perspective Plan for Karnataka Report Submitted in October, 1988, title: Karnataka: Perspective Plan 2001, Report of the Expert Group, Bangalore.
- Member, Advisory Council on National Accounts Central Statistical Organisation, Government of India, 1990-93, 1995-98.
- Member,Steering Committee on Industrial Statistics, Department of Statistics, Government of India, 1989-91.
- Member, Indian Association for Research in National Income and Wealth: former-Member of the Executive Committee of the Association.
- Head, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, February 1986 to March 1989.
- Life Member, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics and the Indian Econometric Society.
- Member, Expert Group on Estimation of Proportionn of the Number of Poor appointed by the Indian Planning Commission.Report published by the Perspective Planning Division of the Planning Commission, New Delhi (July 1993).
- Part-time Member, the Fifth Central Pay Commission appointed by the Ministry of Finance, Government of India in April 1994. Report submitted January 1997.
- Part-time Member, Disinvestment Commission appointed by the Ministry of Industrial Development Government of India, August, 1996 to November 1999. Twelve Reports submitted to the Government of India.
- Director, Delhi School of Economics, University of Delhi, September 1995 to September 1998.
- Vice-Chairman, National Advisory Board on Statistics, Department of Statistics, Government of India from 1997.
- Member, Governing Body of the National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi (till 1998), the Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi and Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics, Pune.
- Part-time member, National Statistical Commission, appointed by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of India, February 2000, Report submitted August 2001.
- Chairman, Advisory Committee on National Accounts, Central Statistical Organisation, Ministry of Statistics and Plan Implementation, Government of India.
- Executive Director, Centre for Development Economics at the Delhi School of Economics since August 2000 till February 2004.
- Part time member, High Level Committee for formulating Long Term Grain Policy for the country, Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India, November 2000. Resigned 2001.
- Chairman, Governing Council, National Sample Survey Organisation, Government of India, since November 2004.
- Part time member, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, Government of India, since January 2005.
- Nominated Director on the Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India, India’s central bank with effect from June 27, 2006.
- Part time chairman, National Commission on Statistics, Government of India with effect from July 04, 2006.
- Some Experiments in Multi-Sectoral Planning Model for India. Submitted to the Department of Economics, Harvard University, January 1968.
- Supervisors: H.S. Houthakker and H.B. Chenery
Published Papers/ Accepted for Publication
- Econometric Study of Monthly Consumption Expenditure in Rural Uttar Pradesh. The American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.51, No.1, February 1969, pp.119-37.
- Interaction between Domestic and Foreign Resources in Economic Growth: Some Experiments for India, Chapter pp.122-54 in H.B. Chenery et al. (eds), Studies in Development Planning, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, Mass, U.S.A. (1971).
- Analysis of Occupational Differences in Consumer Expenditure Patterns", (with L.R. Jain), Sankhya, Series B, Vol,35, Part IV (December 1973), pp.239-67.
- Planning for Growth, Redistribution and Self-Reliance in India's Fifth Five Year Plan, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.IX, January 12, 1974 (Part I, pp.27-40) and January 19, 1974 (Part II, pp.63-80).
- Draft Fifth Plan and Removal of Poverty, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. IX. Annual Number, (February 1974), PP. 283-89.
- Planning Models for Growth and Redistribution in India : An Assessment, pp. 39-66 in T.N. Srinivasan and P.K.Bardhan (eds),Poverty and Income Distribution in India, Statistical Publishing Society, Calcutta (1974).
- Planning process, Planning Commission and Rollover Planning: Some Basic Issues, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XII,No. 42, October 15, 1977, pp. 1777-82.
- Employment (A critical review of the Draft Five Year Plan 1978-83,with reference to the employment objective), Seminar, No. 228 (August 1978).
- Comments (invited comments on papers by Raj Krishna and Nitin Desai in the session on "Interaction between Research and Policy"). pp. 321-26 in the Institute of Economic Growth: Relevance in social Science Research : A Colloquium, Vikas Publishing House(Pvt.)Ltd.,Delhi (1982).
- Economic Inequality in an Indian Perspective, pp. 71-128 in A. Beteille (ed), Equality and Inequality : Theory and Practice, Oxford University Press, New Delhi (1983).
- Micro-Level Experiments in Socio-economic Development, pp. 87-98 and "Overview", pp. 537-42 in centre for Policy Research : Population, Poverty and Hope, Uppal Publishing House, New Delhi, (1983).
- Prospects for Industrial Growth in the Sixth Plan", (with K. Sundaram), Economic Times Saturday Supplement, February 26,1983.
- Rural Institutional Credit and Rural Development : A Review Article, Indian Economic Review, Vol. XVIII, No.I ( January-June 1983), pp. 101-37.
- Press as a Public Utility, New Quest, March-April, 1983, pp.91-96.
- Poverty Reduction and Redistribution in sixth Plan : Population Factor and Rural-Urban Equity, (with K. Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XVIII, September 17, 1983, pp.1617-32.
- Poverty in the Mid-Term Appraisal, (with K. Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XVIII, Nos. 46 and 47, November 5-12, 1983, pp. 1928-35.
- International Co-operation in Rural Development, Rural Reconstruction, Journal of the Afro-Asian Rural Reconstruction Organisation, Vol. 17, No.1 (January 1984), pp. 24-39.
- More on Poverty in the Mid-Term Appraisal : The case of the Missing Millions, (with K.Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XIX, No.26, June 30, 1984.
- Approach to the Seventh Plan : an Appraisal, (with K.Sundaram), Economic Times, September 20-21, 1984.
- The Poverty Problem, (with K.Sundaram), Seminar (New Delhi), No.305 (January 1985).
- Poverty in India, Part I : "General Policy Perspectives", and Part II: " Decentralisation for Growth", (with K.Sundaram), Indian Express, New Delhi, March 14-15, 1985.
- Growth, trickle-down Effects and Poverty, (with K.Sundaram), Frontline, (Madras), May 18-31, 1985, pp.33-40.
- The Union Budget, 1985-86, an Appaisal, (with K.Sundaram and K.Krishnamurty), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XX, No.20, May 18, 1985, pp.880-89.
- Anti-Poverty Programmes in India : an assessment, (with K.Sundaram), Chapter 3, pp. 165-260 in S.Mukhopadhyay(ed.), The Poor in Asia : Productivity-raising Programmes and Strategies, Asian and Pacific Development Centre, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia (1985).
- Integrated Rural Development Programmes in India : A Case Study study of Poverty Eradication Programme", (with K. Sundaram), Chapter 6, pp.201-44 in S.Mukhopadhyay (ed.), Case Studies in Poverty Programmes in Asia, Asian and Pacific Development Centre, Kuala Lampur, Malaysia (1985). Modified version published in Social Action, A Quarterly review of Social Trends (published by the Indian Social Institute, New Delhi), Vol. 35, No.1, January-March 1985, pp.1-25.
- Financing a step up in Plan Investment : Administered Price Hike or Increased Deficit Financing ?" (with K.Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XX1, Nos.26 and 27; June 21-28, 1985, pp.1109-13.
- On the Validity of Raul Prebisch Thesis - A Note on the Discussions", Research and Information system for the Non-Aligned Aligned and other developing Countries, New Delhi (1987).
- Economic Ineqalities and Poverty in India : An Interpretative Overview, Chapter 5, pp.106-143 in P.R. Brahmanada and V.R.Panchamukhi (eds.), The Development Process of the Indian Economy, Himalaya Publishers House, Delhi (1987).
- 29. Policy on Administered prices and Deficit Financing (with K.Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXII, No.22, May 30,1987, pp.853-57.
- Towards an Explanation of Inter-regional Variations in Poverty and Unemployment in Rural India", (with K. Sundaram), Chapter 10, pp.315-62 in T.N. Srinivasan and P. Bardhan (eds.), Rural Poverty in South Asia, Oxford University Press, Delhi(1988)
- An Approximation to the Size-Structure of Indian Manaufacturing Industry, (with K. Sundaram), Chapter 4, pp.72-92 in K.B. Suri(ed.), Small Scale Enterprises in Industrial Development, Sage Publications, New Delhi (1988).
- Dimensions of Rural Poverty: An Inter-Regional Profile", (with L.R. Jain and K. Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXIII, Nos. 45, 46 and 47, November 1988, pp.2395-2408.
- “Measurement of Poverty: Some Conceptual Issues” (with K. Sundaram), Paper No. 36 in the collection of Papers for the Second Seminar on Social Statistics, February 4-6, 1988, Central Statistical Organisation, Government of India, New Delhi.
- Level of Living and Incidence of Poverty in Rural India: A Cross-Section Analysis (with L.R. Jain and K. Sundaram), Journal of Quantitative Economics, Vol.5, No.1, (January 1989), pp.187-209.
- An Approach towads Integrating Large and Small Scale Surveys, Chapter 8, pp. 200-17 in P. Bardhan (ed.), Conversations between Economics and Anthropologists, Methodological Issues in Measuring Economic Change in rural India, Delhi, Oxford University Press, (1989).
- On a Relationship between the Real and the Nominal Relative Disparities in the Consumption of Cereals in Rural India, (with L.R. Jain), Journal of Development Economics, Vol.31, No.2, (October 1989), pp.271-95.
- Inter-temporal and Inter-fracatile group Movements in Real Levels of Living for Rural and Urban Population of India, 1970-71 to 1983 (with L.R. Jain), Journal of the Indian School of Political Economy, Vol.1, No.2, (July-December,1989), pp. 313-
- Role of Growth and Distribultion in the Observed Changes in Headcount Ratio Measure of Poverty: A Decomposition Exercise for India (with L.R. Jain), Indian Economic Review, Vol.XXV., No.2 (July-December, 1990), pp.165-205.
- Poverty-Eradication : A Review of the Policies and Programmes, pp.276-81 in R.A. Chowdhury et al. (eds.), The Indian Economy and its Performance since Independence, Delhi, Oxford University Press (1990).
- Changes in the Number of Rural and Urban Poor between 1970-71 and 1983 (with L.R. Jain), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXVI, Nos. 11 and 12 (Annual Number, March 1991),pp.709-22.
- Rural and Urban Cost of Living: 1983 to 1987-88, State-wise and All-India (with B.S. Minhas and L.R. Jain), Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, ol.3, No.3, (July-August,1991), pp.42-42.
- Challenge of Development: Are there Context-free Solutions? World Development Report, 1991: An Appraisal, Indian Economic Review, Vol.XXVI, No.2 (July-December, 1991), pp.253-61.*
- The Role of Policy-Research in the Formulation and Implementation of Macroeconomic Strategies and Policies in India, pp.31-50 in Institutional Relations in Development, Development Papers, No.8, UN-ESCAP, Bangkok (1991).*
- Declining Incidence of Poverty in 1980s: Evidence versus Artefacts, (with B.S. Minhas and L.R. Jain), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXVI, Nos. 27 and 28 (July 6-13, 1991), pp. 1673-82.
- Economic Growth and Poverty, Chapter 1, pp.27-57 in Barbara Harriss, S. Guhan and R.H. Casseh (eds), Poverty in India Research and Policy, Bombay, Oxford University Press, 1992.
- Inter-Temporal, Inter-Fractile Group and Rural-Urban Differential in the Cost of Living, Real Levels of Living, Inequality and Poverty for All-India, 1970-71 to 1988-89 (With L.R. Jain), Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, Vol.IV, No.3 (July-September, 1992), pp.456-83.
- "The Dynamics of Total Consumption and Saving" (with H.S. Houthakker) pp.225-46 in Louis Philips and Lester D. Taylor(Eds) Aggregation, Consumption and Trade, Kluwer Academic Publishers, dordrecht, Netherlands (1992).
- "Strategic Issues Relating to External Trade in India's Growth Process" ch.25, pp.301-13 in Thomas A Paul (ed), International Monetary, banking and Trade Systems and Economic Development, National Institute of Bank Management, Pune (1992).
- "An Analysis of Inter-state and Inter-commodity-group Rural-Urban Consumer Price Indices in India: 1983 to 1988-89" (with L.R. Jain) Journal of Indian School of Political Economy, Vol.V, No.2, (April-June 1993), pp.267-99.
- "Poverty Alleviation, Economic Restructuring and the Growth Process in India", pp.29-62 in Kirit S. Parikh and R. Sudarshan (eds.): Human Development and Structural Adjustment, Macmillan India Ltd., Delhi (1993).
- "Industrial Planning in India: Institutional Environment and Regulatory Regime", Chapter 16, pp.279-94 in Kanta Ahuja, Huub coppens and Herman van der Wusten (eds.) Regime Transformations and Global Realignments: Indo-European Dialogues on the Post-Cold War World, Sage Publication, New Delhi (1993).*
- "National Sample Surveys on Consumer Expenditure and Living Standard Measurement India" (with K. Sundaram) Ch.5. pp.121-36 in David G. Westendorff and D. Ghai(eds.) Monitoring Social Development in the 1990s: Data Constraints, Concerns and Priorities, Aldershot, Avebury (1993).
- "Poverty in Asia and the Pacific: Conceptual Issues and National Approaches to Measurement", (with K. Sundaram), pp.42-58 in Economic Bulletin for Asia and the Pacific, (UN-ESCAP, Bangkok), Vol.XLIV no.2 (December 1993).
- "Connection between Economic and Social Development : an Indian Case Study: pp.121-61 in UN-ESCAP: Social Costs of Economic Restructuring in Asia and the Pacific. Development Papers No.15, Bangkok (1994).*
- "Adjustment with Growth or Stagnation? India, 1973/74 to 1983/84" (with Pradeep K. Mitra) Chapter 6, pp.146-92 in Pradeep K. Mitra (ed.) Adjustment in Oil Importing Developing Countries: A Comparative Economic Analysis,Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U.K. (1994).*
- "Economic Growth and Equity: India, 1970-71 to 1988-89", (with L.R. Jain) Indian Economic Review, Vol.XXX, No.1, January-June 1995, pp.19-49.
- "Economic Reforms and Poverty", (with L.R. Jain) Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXX, No.23 (June 10, 1995), pp.1373-77.
- "On Measuring Shelter Deprivation in India," (with K. Sundaram), Indian Economic Review, Vol.XXX, No.2 (July-December 1995), pp.1-35.
- "Economic Growth, Relative Inequality and Equity: The Case of India (with L.R. Jain). Asian Development Review,Vol.13, No.2(1995) pp.138-68.*
- Social Welfare , Social Developments and Economics Growth, presented at the Mahalanobis birth centenary conference, 29 June -1 July 1993, ch.7, pp111-41 in Chattopadhyay, M., P. Maiti and M. Rakshit(Eds.): Planning and Economic Policy in India: Evaluations and Lessons for the Future, New Delhi, Sage Publications(1996).
- "Growth, Distributional Change and Reduction in Rural Poverty between 1983 and 1987-88: A Decomposition Exercise for Seventeen States in India" (with L.R. Jain) Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics (Golden Jubilee Numbebr), vol.51, Nos 1 and 2, (Jan-June 1996) pp.109-33,
- "Policy on Modern Small Scale Industries: A Case of Government Failure: (with T.A. Bhavani), Indian Economic Review, Vol. XXXII, no.1, January-June 1997) pp.85-110.*
- "The Global Competitiveness Report 1997: The Indian Context and Imperatives" Productivity (Quarterly Journal of the National Productivity Council, New Delhi), vol. 38, no.2 (July-September 1997) pp. 167-72.
- "Growth Distributional Change and Poverty Reduction in India. A Decomposition Exercise", (with L.R. Jain), Ch.2. pp.40-67 in S.R.Chakravarty, D.Coondoo and R.Mukherjee (Eds) Quantitative Economics, Theory and Practice, Essays in Honour of Professor N.Bhattacharya, Allied Publishers Limited, New Delhi (1998).
- "India's Economic Policy Reforms and Poverty," Ch.12, pp.280-309 in I.J. Ahluwalia and I.M. D. Little (Eds.) Indian Economic Reforms and DevelopmentEssays for Manmohan Singh , Oxford University Press, Delhi (1998).*
- " Foundational Propositons Underlying the Indian Economic Reforms ", Ch.1, pp.29-38 in Manmohan Aggarwal, Alokesh Barua, Sandwip Kumar Das and Manoj Pant (eds.) : Indian Economy in Transition , Environmental and Development Issues, Har-Anand Publications Pvt. Ltd. (1998). *
- Employment and Labour in South Asia (with T.C.A.Anant and K.Sundaram), South Asia Multidisciplinary Advisory Team, International Labour Organisation, New Delhi (1999).*
- " Determinants of Firm-level Export Performance : A Case Study of Indian Textile Garment Industry " (with T.A.Bhavani), Journal of International Trade and Development (Routledge Limited, London) Vol. 10, No. 1, (March) 2000, pp65-92. Also Working Paper no.81, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics (May 2000).*
- “Planning and Markets in Indian Development Process” Artha Vijnana Vol XLII, No. 3 (Sept 2000) pp 191-215.
- “NAS-NSS Estimates of Private Consumption for Poverty Estimation: A Disaggregated Comparison for 1993-94” (with K.Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly Vol XXXVI, No. 2 (January 13, 2001), pp 119-29.
- “Economic Liberalisation and Challenges, Opportunities and Pitfalls”, Ch. 1, pp 1-19 in V.S. Jafa (Ed.): Liberalisation in India, Road Ahead, New Century Publications, Delhi (2001).
- “ Poverty has declined in the 1990s. A resolution of Comparability Problems in NSS Consumer Expenditure Data”, (with K. Sundaram), Economic and political Weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 4, January 25-31, 2003, pp. 327-337.
- “ NAS-NSS Estimates of Private Consumption for Poverty Estimation. A Further comparative examination”, (with K. Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXVII, No. 4, January 25-31, 2003, pp. 376-384.
- “Markets and Long-Term Economic growth in South Asia, 1950-1997”, (with Binayak Sen), Ch:4, pp. 146-218 in I. J. Ahluwalia and J. Williamson(Eds): The South Asian Experience with growth, New Delhi, Oxford university Press (2003).*
- Reintegrating India with the world economy, (with T. N. Srinivasan) published by the Institute for International economics, Washington, D.C. (March 2003) and Oxford University Press, Delhi (August).*
- “ Poverty in India in the 1990s: an analysis of changes in 15 major states” (with K. Sundaram), Economic and Political weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No.14, April 15, 2003, pp. 1385-1393.
- “Political Economy of Indian Economic Policy”, (review of PN Dhar’s Book), Economic and Political weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 31, August 2-8, 2003, pp. 3248-3251.
- “Poverty in India in the 1990s: Revised Results for All India and 15 Major States for 1993-94” (with Sundaram) Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No. 46 (November 15-21, 2003), pp. 4865-4872.
- “Poverty among Social and Economic Growth in India in 1990s, “ (with Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXVIII, No50 (December 13-19, 2003) pp. 5263-5276.
- “The Poor in the Indian Labour Force, Scenario in the 1990s” (with K. Sundaram), Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XXXIX, No. 48 (November 27 to December 03, 2004), pp. 5125- 32.
- “Employment Growth in Factory Manufacturing Sector During Pre- and Post-Reform Period”, Chapter 9, pp. 207-24 in Suresh D. Tendulkar, Arup Mitra, K. Narayanan and Deb Kusum Das (Editors) : India :Industrialisation in a Reforming Economy, Academic Foundation, New Delhi (2005).
- “Poverty Outcomes in India in the 1990s” (with K. Sundaram), Ch. 13, pp.249- 305 in Angus Deaton and Valerie Kozel (Eds): The Great Indian Poverty Debate, Mac Millan India Ltd., Delhi (2005).
- “India : Employment- Poverty Linkages and Policy Options” (with K. Sundaram), Ch 8, pp. 267-311, in Rizwanul Islam (Ed) : Fighting Poverty, The Development-Employment Link, Lynne Reinner Publishers, Boulder, London, U.S.A. for the International Labour Organisation, 2006.
- Poverty in India, 1970-71 to 1988-89, (with K. Sundaram and L.R. Jain) International Labour Organisation, Asian Regional Team for Employment Promotion (ARTEP) New Delhi, ARTEP-Working Paper (December 1993).
- Living Standard Measurement in India, (with K. Sundaram) Monograph completed for the United Nations research Institute for Social Development, Geneva. Revised draft sent June 1995.
- "Social Exclusion: Mechanism, Processes and Labour Market Outcomes: An Indian Case Study," (with K Sundaram)presented at the Asian Sub-Regional Symposium in Social Exclusion and Extension of Social Protection, 22-25 November, 1994 at Pattaya, Thailand organised by the East Asia Multidisciplinary Advisory Team (EASMAT), Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, International Labour Organisation, Bangkok (Revised: September 1995)
- Can Government Pick Winners? On possible determinants of successful government intervention" presented at the Workshop on International Economics and Economic Development at the Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi, March 29, 1996. Revised April, 1996.
- "Macroeconomic, Policies and Poverty in India, 1966-67 to 1993-94 (with K. Sundaram and L.R.Jain) Report submitted to the South Asia Multidisciplery Advisory Team, International Labour Organisation, New Delhi (September 1996).
- Contributed the following papers to the South Asia Poverty Monitor being sponsored by the United Nations Development Programme. Reproduced in pp. 47-52 in R.J. Chelliah and, R.Sudarshan (Eds) Income Poverty and Beyond, Social Science Press, New Delhi (1996).
- Poverty: Concepts and Measures
- Monitoring policies, programmes and mechanisms affecting the Poor: Schematic framework and suggestions for surveys.
- Rural and Urban Poverty in India
(i) Changes between 1983 and 1993-94 for fifteen major states
(ii) Socio-economic characteristics of the rural and the urban poor: 1993-94
(iii) Labour-force characteristics of the rural poor.
Large part of this material is included in Chapter 2, pp.13-46 in R.J.Chelliah and R.Sundaram (Eds) referred under II.
- " Exports in India's Growth Process ", Working Paper no.46, Indian Council for Research in International Economic Relations, New Delhi (January, 1999). Also, Occasional Paper No. 70, Export-Import Bank of India, published by Quest Publications (September 1999).
- Reducing Poverty : A framework for the Bank's Country Economic Strategy in India : Part I. Poverty in India : An Assessment and Analysis, Part II : Country Economic Strategy for India (with K.Sundaram) for Asian Development Bank, Manila (Completed : May 2000).
- Indian Export and Economic Growth Performance in Asian Perspective: Working Paper No. 54, Indian Council for Research in International Economic Relations, New Delhi (December 2000). Also Occasional Paper No. 81, Export-Import Bank of India, published by Quest Publications, Mumbai (December 2000).*
- “Employment Growth in factory Manufacturing Sector during pre and post-reforms Period”, Paper presented at the Conference in Honour of Prof. K.L.Krishna, Delhi school of Economics, December 2000.*
- “Has Poverty in India declined in the 1990s? An Analysis of Problems of Comparability Over Time”, paper prepared for International Seminar on “Understanding Socio-Economic Changes Through National Surveys” organised by the National Sample Survey Organisation, Government of India, New Delhi, 12-13 May, 2001.
- “Poverty in India: An Assessment and Analysis and Implications for Country Strategy and Programmes in India: An Update” (with K. Sundaram): Report prepared for the Asian Development Bank, Manila (November 2001).
- “Recent Debates on Database for Measurement of Poverty in India: Some Fresh Evidence” (with K.Sundaram). Paper for presentation at the workshop organised by the Indian Planning Commission and the World Bank, January 11-12, 2002 (December 2001).
- “Working poor in India: employment Poverty Linkages and Employment Policy Options” (with K. Sundaram), Discussion paper 4, Issues in Employment and Poverty, Recovery and Reconstruction department, International Labour Office, Geneva (September 2002 ).
- “Understanding the Indian Economic Policy Reforms” (with T.A.Bhavani) of the Global Development Network Project. Final Report has been submitted in May, 2005. This project explores the political economy of post 1991 political reforms.
- “Organised Labour Market in India: Pre and Post Reform” Paper for presentation at the Conference on Anti-Poverty and Social Policy in India organised by the MacArthur Research Network on Inequality and Economic Performance at the Neemrana Fort Palace, Alwar, Rajasthan, January 2-4, 2004.*
- “Trends in Labour and Employment in India, 1983-2003 : Some Fresh Results” (with K. Sundaram) prepared for the World Bank (October 2005).
- “Changing Structure of Indian Workforce, Quality of Employment and Real Earnings , 1983-2000” (with K. Sundaram) prepared for the World Bank (November 2005).